Friday, January 8, 2010

Homecoming

Spending the last two days in Europe in Stockholm made the entire 5 plus months come full circle. It was just how I started my journey except that it was summer and in a different hostel then. The first day was quiet - I was exhausted after all the traveling, so I only went to the supermarket to get treats for the people back home and some dinner, then I spent all day in bed. However, I found out -thanks to Bryan - that Kata was going to be in Stockholm at about 8 to catch her train to Lulea after having gone back home to Hungary for the holiday season. Well long story short, she didn't make it in time for the train and the next connection left close to midnight, so we had many hours of catching up and hugging. It was perfect and I was thrilled to get to see her again :D

The next day I met Mel and James who were coming in from Stockholm and then went over to Emmy's for ficka before bringing all the bags I had left in her place back to my hostel. Then after some shopping (crazy end of season sales were everywhere) I headed back to pack and hit the sack.

Leaving the next morning was really uneventful. Have breakfast, say goodbye to staff and board the express train to the Airport. This time leaving was not as emotional...I guess its because I felt like I had no ties to Stockholm per se. But I love Sweden, it had been awesome to me. I spent thr plane ride befriending the lady next to me - and Iranian who has been living in Sweden for 26 years - and imagining what seeing my loved ones at the airort would be like. I couldn't sleep at all on the 10 hour flight from Stockholm to Bangkok, however the 2nd leg from Bangkok to Singapore was when I was terrbily sleepy cos it wad finally nightfall in Sweden.

But of course, I could not really catch my forty-winks. But all my tiredness melted away when I saw the beaming faces of Shaun, Rett, Arman, Sharm and Ipul waving hi to me when I was picking up my bags at belt 19. Oh it was so good to see them! Many hugs and loving words were exchanged. I missed them all so much. After lunch I headed home with Ipul and Shaun. Mum was waiting at home and I was so happy to see her...We hugged so much.

I spent a long time just sorting out gifts (Mum loved all of hers thankfully) and putting books and clothes away. Then my Cuz Lin comes over with my adorable new neice and shortly after my dad walks in from work. It was so nice to be all together just talking and sharing. Then I decided to go see my grandma and aunt who were delighted to see me :) I helped to take down their Christmas tree and was off to deliver gifts to Shaun's family before the both of us headed out for a little stroll :)

I think my first day home was perfect. Though I must say, the only downside was the realisation of my immense weight gain and the fact that I have to start dieting pronto :( Europe's cheeses, chocolates and breads did me no good at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment