Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Long Goodbye (and a bit arriving in London)

Finally it was 6pm on 16th Dec. I knew it's arrival could not be avoided. My friends started filling the my apartment to spend the last hour with me before my taxi came to whisk me away to the train station. Everyone was exclaiming how empty my room was, giving me hugs, and doses of optimistic thoughts. Kenza and Lucie were blocking the main door so I could not get out =D
I left a note on my desk for the next person who would be getting my room. I simply wanted to tell them that Lulea was an awesome choice and to use the room well, cos it was good to me.
Then shortly after, Micheal from upstairs came down and told me that the guys upstairs had prepared the Sustromming (fermented herring that smells awful) for me to try before I leave. So we all went up and boy oh boy, the smell of the open can of fish that hits you in the face. It smells like poo, literally. I'm not kidding you.
To eat it the 'right' way you need Swedish tunnbrod, boiled potatoes, sour cream, onions and dill. So you pile it all up, and take a small amount of the fish and dot it around. Okay it was bad, but not impossible to eat. I finished the portion I made and did not go back for seconds.
And was fun though, everyone was screwing up their noses and faces, making weird noises, looking sick in the face...
I went down shortly after eating my share and saying goodbye to the kind boys who opened the can of fish in their home - I seriously don't know how long it will take before the smell leaves their apartment. Back at my place, more people had come to say goodbye and it was getting really sad. I was proud of myself for not crying. Reticlyve was especially sad, but at least I'll see him again in Amsterdam!
And of course, dearest Katalin, came with me in the cab to the train station and we were just standing and talking in the carriage until just before my train had to pull out of the station. It was heartbreaking to say bye to Kata, we had a very long embrace before parting. She gave me a letter and a friendship band and I gave her my word that I will see her again.

On the train, the movies and my sleepiness from not having slept much the night before, helped to make sure time flew bye. I woke up right on time to gather myself and my stuff and alight at Stockholm. Frederick from LURC was also in the train, so I could not escape one more goodbye :)
I made my way to Emmy's home to hang out with her and her adorable baby girl for a while. We had lunch and I practiced my Swedish. Then it was time for me to make my way to the airport for my flight to London. Stockholm was having a snow storm, it's rare that they have snow so early and in such large quantities. This slowed down traffic and delayed my flight by 2 hours.

In London, the landing was so rough I really doubted if we were all going to make it. Apparently London is having freak weather right now with the strong winds and snow too. But thankfully God saw us through and He helped me get all the way to Fullham Broadway station, where Rachel Berry (a secondary school friend) and her dad were to pick me up and take me to their home. I'm so blessed that I have such a lovely place to crash in London and save so much money too. They are a lovely family and I really really like them.

More London updates to come in due time!

No comments:

Post a Comment